Monday, March 13, 2006

The Watcher, The Performer and The Enforcer

The parade was held once a week it seems nowadays. People will flock out after the Friday player, with copter buzzing on top of us during khutbah and prayer, I repeat, khutbah and prayer (yeah, drop a bomb while you are at it, please). I mean, I can’t even hear what the Imam’s said. Dahla tak pergi sembahyang, at least, show some respect la, ko tu Muslim gak.

On the way back to my office, the men in uniform have already form a shield line in front of the shopping complex, and yup, it reminds me of Rome very much. Am I excited? Oooo, hell yeah!!! My heart wanted to cry out a battle cry, my feet feels like charging and my arms feel like flying through, but of course, in reality, I just walked by as a passerby trying to light his cigarette, inhaling it with my heart beating, slowly accelerating itself as I’m going nearer to the door of my office.

The crowds were already building up. Malays, Chinese, Indians, Sikh, you name it, all of them were there, not as one, but divided into two, the watcher and the performer, and of course, the enforcer as well.

Let me tell you through the eyes of the watcher. Why do we watch? Why were we there in the first place? Okay, how many of you out there have seen the enforcer brought out about 10 trucks, 6 full with men armed to the teeth, two small bringing special forces, one truck with water hose and one commanding vehicle? Oh yeah, have I mentioned the helicopter too? One watcher exclaimed (screaming)

“ I HAVE NEVER SEEN A HELICOPTER THIS CLOSE BEFORE!!!”

It was close. When I went to my office on the 20th floor, it was below me, hahaha, I’m flying!!!! The trees were swaying back and forth, left and right with some of the branches falling out of the trees. And the noise!! It was hard to hear even when the person was beside you.

That’s the first reason. The second one was we are not in Korea, or Japan, or US, most of us haven’t even been out of Malaysia before, so how many have seen a riot, okay la, not a riot, at least the enforcers sprayed the hose to the performer? Not all of us right? Frankly, it didn’t even broadcast in the local tv, that’s why people watched the scene as close as 10 meters away, they didn’t perform, just stand and watch, hoping and hoping that something would happen.

Something did happen. A minute before the performer arrived, an Indonesian worker were happily doing his job to beautify the small garden in front of my office. Then, the stampede came, half of the new plants were dead, the wet cement has to be cemented back. It was a disaster for him. When I was about to go home that evening, he and his supervisor were sulking, watering the plant back to life, it was to late anyway.

One of my colleagues gave his opinion to me that evening. What if the enforcer weren’t there? Would the watcher be there? Would the performer be that many? If the enforcer were not there, could there be someone that would say

“Boringla, takder orang nak dengar, jom balik.”
It could you know.

1 comment:

thewailer said...

well izira, I'd smoke too instead of wielding my sword and shield...nowadays :)