Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Gunung Tebu Part 1

This story happened during year-end school break 1995. It happened in Besut, Kelantan on a mountain called Gunung Tebu. There were many versions of these stories, the most famous was told by TV3, 3 nights in a row, of how 97 students were lost during their descend from the mountain. The story was a bunch of crap andthe interviewed has been doctored by the interviewer. Of course, we were kids then. I never believed in the news since. Let me tell you the real story, after exactly ten years after the story begins, exclusively brought to you by one of the participants…me.

It was almost school break. I was one of the students of MRSM Kuala Berang. Every year during school break MARA will organize at least 5 events to be held to fulfill any interested students who wanted to participate. The events included biking in Langkawi and two mountain climbing (Ledang & Tebu). I chose Tebu as my destination, attracted to the words “survivor camp”. With me, there were 8 others, 4 guys and 4 girls. When the day comes, just before my dad send me to MARA, a feeling of creepiness started to crawl down my spine. I cannot describe the feeling, it was like something held you back, doesn’t want to let go. I remembered calling my ex at that day, telling her about how I felt at that time. She said that it doesn’t mean anything, maybe I was already homesick! Little did we knew that the feeling I felt at that time was actually a sign that something big was about to happened.

We took our bus (MRSM Pengkalan Chepa bus, the organizer) from the MARA headquarters situated at Jalan TAR in front of Pertama Complex. Several other students from PC itself joined us. I couldn’t remember the girls, but the boys (we became very close after) were great. There were 4 of them, Ah Seng, Ayeh, Giant and the “Scotland guy”, Irman (I miss this guy, where are you hah?). The journey took us about almost to 10 hours of bumpy bus riding. However, it was a great journey, of course, we were boys then. There were about 20 people on board at that time. We stopped at a place or two to stretch our legs and for Jeff, Manjoe (both were from my school), Irman and me, we managed to catch a smoke or two, secretly, of course.

We arrived at the base of Gunung Tebu around 8 PM. It was already raining at the time of our arrival. The rest of the participants were already there. We set up our tent, quickly and chaotically (we just did anything, each tent could filled about 30 people, with the ground as our bed, we sleep closely with each other, I don’t even knew who was beside me at that time). I couldn’t sleep well that night. Before my departure, my whole family was having fever, except for me. Now, the illness has creeping in, with the long journey and the tent set-up under heavy rain (it’s November, and it’s in Kelantan), at first I thought that’s the reason for the feeling that I felt before, I was wrong.

We were “asked” to wake up around 4 AM. The rain has already stopped. We make our way to the river which just beside our tent, and we took a bath there. Have anyone tried swimming in a river directly descend from the mountain at 4 AM? Please……don’t try. It didn’t take any effort for my hand to brush my teeth. My hand’s shivering was so severe that it took care of the brushing for me.

It started to rain again after Subuh’s prayer. We were instructed to jog by the Sergeant. The sergeant was our guide to the top. With him, a teacher from PC (a teacher? Weird right? To compare with almost a hundred students), some facilitators who consists of ex PC students that just took their SPM test, the school guard and two medics, each of them brought a brother aged 11. The boys arrived unannounced. The teacher (I couldn’t remember his name, but he was one of the heroes to the event that later unfold) doesn’t even knew that there will be two 11 years old kids that will be joining us ascending the mountain. Their brothers assured him, saying that they were locals, and I don’t know much what have been said among the three of them, but the teacher agreed. There were other teachers as well, but they just come and go, and didn’t join us ascending.

We jog under the heavy rain, the coldness of the morning breeze seeps into our bones. I couldn’t remember the distance, but it was a long one, we managed to keep ourselves together (the KL team). When we return, we were told to run full speed upon a hill and speed back down. We were grateful that we only did it once. Our clothes and shoes were wet as we did the activities. We were not allowed to change our socks, not that it makes any difference anyway. We were asked to form a group of 8. I was separated from the others and was put under a new team.
I think it’s better to put the stories into parts. It was still a long way to go, too much to tell. Next :- My new team. A new problem arises. Advice from an old man and a doctor.

5 comments:

A Voice said...

Fancy browsing blogspot and finding another blog by another ex MRSM.

I was at MRSM Seremban 73-77

Unknown said...

Hi guys,

It's nice to meet another ansara members' too. A memory that would always be cherished in my mind. Seremban? Hey, I just met someone from there too during the Ansara open house at KL Tower last year. Damn! What was his name?

"Putera Puteri Bersatu"

Unknown said...

Halim, yeah, my super senior, right? I last met him during open hse at KL tower.

Anonymous said...

i'm from mrsm pc 9697. can u please post part III.Tq

Unknown said...

Hi Aishril,

Thanks for your time and interest by dropping here. As you notice, it's been a very long time I've updated this blog since I've entered into this company.

Alhamdulillah, I will start a new job in a new company early next year and I'll try to find some time to update this blog. Yeah, I'll update it, with part III, I promise :).