Monday, December 19, 2005

Block or Blog?

Last few days, Farah SMS me, asking for some tips to replace the word visitor. She’s encountered writer’s block, and asked me for any suggestion. It was for an event she said, and the word visitor just doesn’t seem fit. I read her SMS, and look at the clock, it was already 15 minutes past 1. The problem with my brain was after 12, there’ll be no entry for critical thinking, only comics and jokes allowed, haha. I did give her a few suggestions, but they didn’t satisfy me either. We both knew there’s this some “kick-butt” word that could replace visitor, but what? She sticks with visitor after that. Two days later, she SMS me with the word that we were looking for almost an hour.

It’s weird, isn’t it? The way our brain works. My English teacher always reminded me, lecturing me about the importance of notes, points etc to scribe before the start of any writing.

“Izrul, hang nie nanti kena writer’s block baru hang tau. Write your point first on a piece of paper, lepas tu baru start.”

“Tau, sure.”

Well, I never did. Although I did said I understand what she said, I didn’t, at that time at least, never encountered a writer’s block before. And when I did, man, I never felt so dumb. I’ve read about Mages in Dragonlance, about Wizard in Dungeon & Dragons where their weaknesses lays whenever they recited spells, the words will vanish from their mind. Yeah, now I know where the creators of the series got their ideas.

The weekends were not so happening. After I left Bob’s house Saturday morning, my mom’s asked me to send her to work, which I did, then pick her up when her shift was over, then my Grandfather holds kenduri at his house, and I was the driver, going here and forth, fetching here and there, till Sunday evening.

When I’m free on both of those days, I continued my reading/studies on the history of World War 2. I’ve stopped on the pages where the Russians started to reclaim Stalingrad. The tanks, particularly the Tigers and T-34s still captivated my imagination. There are still a lot of pages to cover, but if there’s no more new games for me to play, been planning to finish it by the end of this month.

There are still about ten books that I still haven’t started reading yet, though I’ve bought some of them dated about 2 years ago, haha. Book fetish maybe? No more, I planned to finish all of them before I bought a new one. Yeah, there are some books that have catches my eyes, but a promise a promise, and I intend to keep it. Currently there’s Grisham’s, King’s, Archer’s and a couple of books about medieval battles and financial planning. Yeah, I’m into financial now, haha, weird huh?

Talking about games, I still haven’t played Black & White 2 just yet and waiting for FEAR, Call of Duty 2 and Hitman 3. I’m on Space Rangers 2 right now. They said that games are for kids. Well, I dare them to play Space Rangers, then tell me whether it’s for kids or not. There’s math, IQ problem and mgmt in there. Become an Elus for the Faayans for example. I played that problem twice, passed once and when I tried again, I just gave up after several attempts. Thank God for autosave! I even rejected several Physique tests. With this depth, how long would it takes before your submarine hits the bottom, blink blink, I just shutdown the PC.

2 comments:

thewailer said...

Stalingrad...it captured my imagination too...those tanks...Tigers ruled the day...but T-34 just beat the hell out of them by sheer numbers..! Waah kite nie WW2 history buffs gak. hehehe

Unknown said...

Really? Waa, haha, you know, it took at least 6 T-34 to destroy one Tiger, but like you've said, sheer numbers make a lot of different. It's a pity the Tigers were on the wrong side making T-34 claimed the prize :-).

P/S: My PC still shows reruns of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, hahaha.