Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Hope

Will they won the cup again this year for the 4th time? I don’t know, I mean, I do hope so, but hope mean nothing when you’re a fan of the Italians. They have entered the finals at 1994 and Euro 2000 and what do they get? Nothing.

The only thing that I could do right was cheering them all the way, though I would be lying if I say that I don’t expect anything from them. I do HOPE they win, but most of the feelings were kept inside, I don’t want to be brokenhearted again, as I have with Inter for the past four years.

I was smiling all the way to the office today, hah, that’s the benefit of an Italian fans, if the team loose, no one cares, but if they won, hahaha, I think you know what I mean.

The team this year didn’t consist of great players in my point of view. Of course, even filled with great players like in 1994 doesn’t give them anything back. I was glad when Lippi taken over the helm. I was curious to see what he would do to the team. Would he bring back the glory as what he did with Juventus?

In Trapattoni era, the players tell it all, defensive style of playing. I hate his style of playing. It was too typical, too classic. Italians have enough defensive players, why added the strikers to it? I was hoping for Zaccaronni at first, but Zac was too offensive, if he was on the helm, you would see the Italians played with 3 defenders, which is a very rare sight, believed me.

With Lippi, he managed till now to blend just the right element for both defence and offence. I was glad that he chose offend for the last night match. In fact, I was shocked; I thought that he would choose a defensive style of play, against Germany’s home ground advantage but no, he choose offensive instead. How often do you see the Italians, going into extra time, choose to sub all of his players with attackers on a single game? I can’t recall any, Iaquinta, Gilardino and Del Piero were put in while maintaining Totti, Pirlo and Gattuso.

It was a good game compared when they fought against the Australian. For the game tonight between France and Portugal, my best bet was with the Portuguese, when Scolari behind them, anything could happened.

No comments: