Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dinner

My company held a dinner last Friday at Mandarin Oriental Hotel, situated right behind KLCC. The theme this year was “Nostalgia” where we were advise to wore anything from the 60’s to the 90’s. I, as usual, wore khakis and quite formal clothes, representing the 90’s, hah!

Since I started work about 5 years ago, this was my fourth dinner, and the first since I’ve joined this company. It was different. The last dinner in my old company the top artist was Misha Omar. She mentioned that some of her artist friends warned her about my company. They said that the staffs there were very sporting and will be very glad to accompany any artists who were on the stage. They were right. Anyone that Misha invited to be on the stage, they gladly accept and they sang and dance with her till the end.

She was not the only artist that received that kind of treatment. Zahid AF2, Siti Norhaliza, Ezlynn and others received the same too. It was weird, I thought, as the artists who have performed thank all of us graciously, saying that that was one of the best dinners that they have ever performed. I mean, I thought all of the company dinner would treat their performing artist the same as my old company treat them.

Well, last Friday all the things I thought was wrong! Two artists came, hosted by MHI host (I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he was good), Salimah Mahmood and Anuar Zain. Seriously, I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes that night. The receptions were very cold. Although people were cheering when Anuar Zain came in, it didn’t have the same feeling as the previous dinner I’ve been. Well, it could be a World Cup night and by the way, Anuar came late, during kick-off.

It was a bad day for both of them, I can tell. I went back with Sham and Doot, after watching Ayala’s goal on the big screen in the hall (they showed live telecast of the game after Anuar’s performance, it was the start of second half at that time) and rushed back home as fast as we can (they were no television at the hotel’s lobby, can you believed that? And it was a 5-star hotel).
We were quite shocked to see that the streets were empty. Dead empty. We could see almost no cars on the road, only taxis were roaming, searching for customers. It was as if Hari Raya was already here. Argentina versus Germany did indeed have a big impact on the Malaysians. Anyway, I watched as Italy beat Ukraine in the ass that night and it was a very good beating :-) .

No comments: